Hooray! It’s grilling season.
For me, that means carefree cooking on my back deck with a mountain view and the kids playing in the yard.
It means pulling off dinner with exactly zero pans to wash up afterwards.
It means scrounging everything I can find in the fridge, seasoning it with salt and pepper, and letting the fire do all the work.
It means a little meat with an exciting accompaniment like this rhubarb chutney (in the recipe below) and lots of char-grilled veg + bread.
It means even dessert is better off of a hot grill. And together all of this means more reasons to have friends over spontaneously on a warm late spring eve.
Party invitations around here often read, “Bring something to grill.”
That’s pretty much all it takes for spending more quality time with friends.
I’d never turn down a rhubarb crisp, pie or bars and yet, I love rhubarb even more for its savory side.
Cheers to the season ahead with hopes for great grilling weather!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper unseeded for spicy; seeded for mild heat
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar organic
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- Combine all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan. Bring them to a simmer, then reduce the heat to simmer until the rhubarb is soft and jammy, 20-25 minutes .
- Transfer to a glass jar or container and cool to room temperature. Store it in the refrigerator for up to one month.